What makes us Eco Friendly Accommodation?
What’s better than having your own sustainable water supply directly from your own land? We have a borehole situated at the bottom of our land as well as water collection tanks.
Eco Friendly Cleaning Products
We use eco-friendly cleaning products from EcoSmart. EcoSmart products are manufactured in South Africa and are so eco-friendly & effective that they are used by the South African National Parks.
Eco Friendly Accommodation Guest Amenities
All amenities are supplied by Guest Soapies. All products are environmentally friendly and 100% biodegradable, phosphorus free and have not been tested on animals.
We are able to recycle the following materials:
We have our own Compost Drum
All our organic waste is stored in our compost drum and used in our vegetable gardens.
Upcycling is the process of converting old or discarded materials into something useful and often beautiful. We try up-cycle as much as we can by using tins, glass jars, wood etc. and you will see these in different areas of our lodge, from toothbrush holders to cutlery holders and plant containers – all hand made with love!
- All our staff are members of the community.
- We supply clean drinking water to our community.
- We have been able to help our local JSS Mngcibe School by raising funds for new school desks and chairs.
- We have created African Swell Creations Community Craft project (www.africanswellcreations.com) where we train community members how to make crafts. We sell these in our Swell Shop as well as on various online stores.
- We work and help the local community on a daily basis with hospital runs and any emergencies that may arise.
- We meet with a community committee on a quarterly basis to see what the needs are of the community and how we can further help.
Our Lodge’s structure and garden
We have built traditional Rondavel structures with a modern twist so they blend into the community and its surroundings. During the building process, local materials, and many local workers were employed over a 12 month period. Our gardens are a never ending project but we only plant indigenous plants.
We always have a community project in the pipeline so please feel free to ask us how you can get involved and help too! 🙂
Did you know: Production of recycled paper uses 80% less water and 65% less energy, and produces 95% less air pollution than virgin paper production. For every 1m stack of paper you recycle, you save a tree.